RackCDU™ ISAC™ (In-Server Air Conditioning)
Eliminating CRAC in the Data Center.
RackCDU™ with ISAC™ (In-Server Air Conditioning) Liquid Cooling is revolutionary, completely eliminating the need for CRAC (Computer Room Air Conditioning) in the data center. Like Asetek's D2C, ISAC is a hot water, direct-to-chip cooler. What makes ISAC truly unique, however, is that no air is exchanged between the data center and the servers. All air is sealed inside the server and recirculates rather than exiting and heating up the data center.
Each CPU is liquid cooled with Asetek's direct-to-chip cooling technology while a liquid-to-air heat exchanger cools the inside server air that is cooling the rest of the components. Each air-cooled component inside the server sees the same temperature and air-flow as it would in a traditional air cooled data center.
RackCDU is deployed at a rack/server level providing maximum scalability. The system consists of a zero-U rack level CDU (Cooling Distribution Unit) mounted in a 10.5 inch rack extension that includes space for 3 additional PDUs, and ISAC server coolers within each server. The ISAC server coolers are drop in replacements for the existing air heat sinks, with tubes exiting through an unused PCIe slot. This enables RackCDU deployment as a retrofit during server refresh cycles and in new builds.
- Liquid removes nearly all server heat from the data center, eliminating need for Computer Room Air Conditioners (CRAC).
- No air is exchanged between server and the data center.
- Increases energy efficiency by eliminating CRAC and increasing utilization of free cooling, resulting in cooling energy savings exceeding 50%.
- Enables operation in harsh environments by eliminating the need for air temperature and quality control within the data center.
- Increases density per rack and for the total data center.
- Enables maximum performance processor (max TDP) use in high density servers.
While every data center and cluster is different and power costs vary around the globe, RackCDU is generally priced to achieve an immediate to 1-year payback cycle.
Simple Example (Data Center Density):
- If a 1U server draws 1kW total.
- Data center is provisioned with CRAC supporting 8kW / rack.
- Density is limited to 8 servers per rack.
- All 1000W is removed by liquid.
- CRAC units removed and CRAC infrastructure is converted to support ISAC.
- Density can expand to 42 servers per rack, a 425% increase.
Simple Example (Data Center Power Savings):
- If 1U server draws 500W and its CPUs use 60% of the wattage under load. A fully populated rack draws 21kW.
- CRAC power draw to support 21kW is 7kW per rack. (Cooling PUE = 1.34)
- 100% of the thermal load is removed by liquid cooling.
- CRAC infrastructure is converted to support ISAC.
- Liquid cooling uses 3kW per rack.
- $3,460 in net power savings per rack per year (@10 Cents/kWh)
Capital Cost Dynamics:
- CRAC units and CRAC infrastructure is converted to support ISAC.
- No server heat sinks.